|Urgent matters which require immediate attention must be reported by calling Access St. John's at 311, or 709-754-CITY (2489).
For all issues reported via the 311 St. John's app it is best to:
- 1) enable Location Services so we know exactly the location where the problem has occurred; and
- 2) set up a profile, under Settings, so we can contact you if we need more details to complete your request.
- What types of problems can I report using the 311 St. John's app?
- Animal Concerns - report roaming/stray animals, excessive barking, unscooped poop
- Building and Property Concerns - poor conditions, noise, garbage, construction/renovations
- Employee Comment - a compliment, complaint or comment on a City employees conduct
- Garbage - calendar/schedule requests, questions about recycling or other waste programs
- Noise Complaint - from residential or commercial properties due to parties, music or other
- Parking Illegally - report vehicles blocking driveways, fire lanes, blue zones and loading zones
- Parking Meter - report parking meter malfunction or damage
- Parks Maintenance - request garbage can emptying, mowing, lighting, signing or report nuisance issues including bikes, roller blades, skateboards, insects and rodents.
- Pothole - report potholes by providing a detailed location description to help us clearly identify the area
- Sidewalk - report needed repair of an existing sidewalk, curb and gutter.
- Street Concerns - report dangers or needed repair on City streets.
- Street Sign - report damaged or missing street name signs
- Street Spill - report a spill on a City street by providing a detailed location description to help us clearly identify the area
- Storm Drain Concerns - report needed maintenance with a catch basin, manhole, valve box or culvert
- Traffic Sign - report malfunctioning traffic signals by calling 311 or 754-CITY, use the app to report faded or missing paint lines on a road
- Tree Concerns - request maintenance, protection, removal and planting of trees on public property, and maintenance of private trees which pose a threat to public safety.
- Water Conservation - report violations of the Water Conservation Order by providing a detailed location description to help us clearly identify the location
- Do I need to enable ‘Location Service’ when using the 311 St. John’s app?
Yes. Your ‘Location Service’ needs to be enabled to allow the app to detect the location of the issue you are reporting. If you wish to report a concern at a different location than your current one, simply click on the location field and drag the map until the cross hairs are directly over the location of the concern.
- Do I have to provide my personal information to submit a service request?
311 St. John’s does allow anonymous submissions, however, it may limit our ability to effectively respond to your request if we cannot contact you to ask additional questions if needed and we encourage you to include your contact information. Some City services require contact information be provided before a request can be initiated. Please note that any personal information which you supply, including your e-mail address, is considered confidential and we will not share or otherwise use it except to contact you about this particular request.
- How do I add/update my contact information?
- Tap the menu icon (three lines) in the top left corner to access your main menu
- Tap ‘Settings’ and enter your personal information.
- Anonymous Posting: turning this option on allows you to submit requests without submitting your contact information. However, doing so may limit our ability to effectively respond to your request if we cannot contact you to ask additional questions if needed and we encourage you to include your contact information. Please note that any personal information which you supply, including your e-mail address, is considered confidential and we will not share or otherwise use it except to contact you about this particular request.
- When I provide my personal contact information, what type of notifications will I receive?
We may contact you by email or phone if more information is required to process your request. If notifications are enabled on your smartphone, you will receive alerts from the app that will:
Limited information is provided with status updates. For more information regarding your issue please call 311 or 754-CITY and have your Ticket Id ready. Ticket Ids can be found in the ‘Comments’ section of your request, under 'My Requests'.
- Let you know when the reported issue’s status has changed
- Let you know if other like minded citizens have also reported on your request
- What do the different statuses mean?
- Submitted: your request has been sent to us but a service request number (Ticket Id) has not been created yet.
- Received: we've received your request and a Ticket Id has been generated in our internal system. The Ticket Id will display in the ‘Comments’ section of the app. You can use the Ticket Id to track the status of your request.
- Referred To Department: your request has been assigned to the City department responsible for the issue you indicated in your request. You might also see a ‘Notified’ or ‘Assigned ‘ status in your ‘Comments’ section - this means your request has been routed to the appropriate department.
- Closed: City employees have investigated your issue, and dependent upon information available, identified the steps to resolve your request. A ‘Closed’ status is not necessarily indicative of your issue being completed as your issue may be placed on a list for future repairs when work crews and equipment are available.
- Is this a free service?
311 St. John’s is a free app that you can download from your App Store. There is no charge to request information or a service from the City of St. John’s. Data usage charges may apply.