On Feb. 23, 2016 residents of Ward 4 of the City of St. John's will elect a new Councillor. If you are interested in becoming a candidate in By-Election 2016, this section on the website will provide you with all the necessary information.
Please note: Information on this site provides an overview, but is not a substitute for the detail contained in legislation. All candidates are responsible for understanding the legislation and by-laws concerning elections and the requirements for nomination.
Candidate's Check List
- Note the key election dates.
- Check to establish that you hold the qualifications for office (age, citizenship etc.) (Form CC-1015).
- Ensure you are not disqualified from holding office (occupation, residency, etc.). The onus is on the person nominated for election to an office to file a bona fide nomination paper.
- At least two business days prior to the time you intend to file your nomination paper, file a ‘Request for Elections Clearance Certificate’ (Form CC–1009). This certificate will confirm that you are not indebted to the City for any outstanding taxes or fees.
- During the nomination period prescribed, contact the Elections Coordinator to arrange for you and your nominators to file the nomination paper. A nomination paper must be signed by at least two qualified electors whose names appear on the voters list.
- Consider whether you will be appointing an official agent (Forms CC-1007 and CC-1004).
- Election period - don’t forget to mail in your vote-by-mail kit.
- As soon as possible following election day, remove signs, posters and other election advertising.
- ‘Campaign Contributions and Expenses Disclosure’ (Form CC-1022) must be filed by Monday, May 23, 2016.
If you have any questions that are not answered here, please contact the Elections Coordinator by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling (709) 576-8269.