Convention Centre Construction
Construction of the new St. John’s Convention Centre is well under way and residents can now watch the construction live on the City's website.
A photo album showing progress of the Convention Centre construction can be found in the photo gallery.
St. John’s has become a very popular convention location with convention and meeting organizers due to our unique location, culture and heritage. The current configuration of the centre does not allow the City to compete with other similarly sized locations in Atlantic Canada – such as Moncton, Fredericton or Charlottetown. The expansion of the St. John’s Convention Centre improves it to a fully self-contained Tier 3 facility that is expected to double the number of large meetings and conventions the centre holds each year.
Some of the highlights of the new centre include:
- The current centre can host conventions of 400 to 600 people in conjunction with the Delta Hotel. The new centre will be able to host conventions of 600 to 800 and approximately 1,300 people for a sit-down dinner in a new 19,500 sq. ft. main ballroom and an additional 400 people in a new junior ballroom.
- The current centre has two meeting rooms in addition to the ballroom, which is not set up to be subdivided. The new centre will have 10 meeting rooms on the third level and both ballrooms can be subdivided into four meeting spaces each.
- Storage space at the current centre is inadequate for its size. The new convention centre will have vastly improved storage space which will allow the centre to store everything it needs to fully set up both ballrooms for use at the same time.
- The new convention centre will have a state-of-the-art kitchen which is capable of serving 1,300 hot meals in 15 minutes and up to 2,600 meals per day. The current kitchen facilities are approximately one-quarter the size of what the new convention centre will have.
- Loading will also be enhanced at the new centre and transport trucks and delivery vehicles will have full access to the facility through the ground floor. The facility will be equipped with a large dedicated freight elevator. The loading facilities allow direct access to the main ballroom and the kitchen.
- The new convention centre will have a direct pedway to the Delta Hotel, in addition to the pedway to Mile One Centre which already exists.
- There will also be additional office space, a workshop and an event office for convention/meeting organizers.
The outside of the facility will also be updated with new features including:
- Storefront type glazing which will be illuminated at night.
- The outside façade will be reminiscent of the colourful aspects of downtown St. John’s.
- The front of the centre will include a large projection screen marquee to promote the convention centre, Mile One Centre and tourism.
- The new entrance will provide an elegant canopy for events.
- On Waldegrave Street, architectural screens will be incorporated, which will be backlit for visual interest.
- The current bus shelter on Water Street will be incorporated into the building.
- On Water Street there will be a large piece of public art on one section of the exterior wall. A public competition has been held and an image has been selected.
- There will also be additional opportunities to include public art throughout the interior of the facility.
Construction on the new St. John's Convention Centre is on schedule for completion in December 2015.
The St. John’s Convention Centre is governed by St. John’s Sports and Entertainment, which also operates the Mile One Centre.