Winter Parking Restrictions
1. To keep our streets accessible and safe during the winter season, the City of St. John's takes an active role in the enforcement of the St. John's Snow Clearing By-Law. Here are the winter parking restrictions you should be aware of:
- For streets with "No Parking-Snow Route" signage erected
- For streets inside the designated 'Downtown' area
- For streets outside the designated 'Downtown' area
- Obstruction of snow clearing or snow removal operations
1. For streets with "No Parking-Snow Route" signage erected
From Dec. 1 to March 31 every year, parking is prohibited 24 hours a day on city streets designated as Snow Routes. Snow Route zones are clearly marked with signs similar to the one shown here.
These restrictions are necessary to allow our ice control and snow clearing equipment to safely service these streets. Enforcement is continuous for 24-hours a day from Dec. 1 to March 31 regardless of snow or street conditions. The fine for a No Parking-Snow Route violation is $45.
2. For streets inside the designated 'Downtown' area
The designated 'Downtown' area includes all those streets bounded by and including Quidi Vidi Village Road, Forest Road, Empire Avenue, Cashin Avenue Extension, Cashin Avenue, Symonds Avenue, Hamilton Avenue, Cornwall Avenue, Topsail Road, Water Street, Harbour Drive, Job's Cove, Water Street to Pier 17 inclusive, Southside Road (from civic #221 to civic #257 inclusive), Southside Road (from Blackhead Road to Syme's Bridge Road), and Waterford Bridge Road (from civic #47 to civic #51 inclusive) but excludes the following streets:
- Brownrigg Place
- Carson Avenue
- Cornwall Crescent
- Davidson Place
- Grenfell Avenue
- Hennebury Place
- Kitchener Avenue
- Margaret's Place
- Morris Avenue
- Mount Royal Avenue
- O'Dea Place
- O'Neil Avenue
- Ryan Street
- Smith Avenue
- St. Michael's Avenue
- Thompson Place
On-street parking is permitted throughout the winter (unless prohibited by signage) except on specific streets which are scheduled for snow removal operations. The list of streets scheduled for snow removal is updated daily and this information is available after 3 p.m. as follows:
Vehicles must be removed from the streets scheduled for snow removal operations between 12:30 and 7:30 a.m. on the day(s) indicated in the daily updates. Any vehicle impeding snow removal operations will be removed and impounded at the owner's expense. The impound fee is $200 (towing charge) $50 administration fee, plus $25 per day for each day the vehicle is held in storage.
3. For streets outside the designated 'Downtown' area
On-street parking is permitted (unless prohibited by signage) until the On-Street Parking Ban is declared in effect. While the parking ban is in effect, on-street parking is prohibited between 12:30 and 7:30 a.m. daily. Tickets will be issued to vehicles parked in violation of the On-Street Parking Ban continuously while the ban is in effect, regardless of snow or street conditions. The fine for violators is $45.
Residents should note that some streets outside of the designated 'Downtown' area may also have a No Parking-Snow Route restriction in effect, which means parking is prohibited 24-hours a day from Dec. 1 to March 31.
4. Obstruction of Snow Clearing or Snow Removal Operations
Any vehicle that impedes snow clearing or snow removal operations at any time regardless of the winter parking restrictions in effect may be subject to towing and impounding.
Towing Charge: At contracted cost (currently $200+ $50 administration fee)
Impounding Fee: $25 per day.
Ice control and snow clearing operations are hindered by on-street parking, so we request your co-operation in keeping parked vehicles off the street at all times throughout the winter.
- In person at City Hall. 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday by cash, credit or debit card.
- By calling 311 or 754-CITY(2489) at anytime, by credit card only.
Impounded vehicles can be picked up, after payment is made, by the registered owner/renter from 8 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week at 25 Blackler Avenue. We require proof of ownership, such as:
- Driver’s license or other government identification with the same name and civic address as the vehicle registration
- For rental vehicles, the name and address on government identifications matches the name and address of the rental agreement
For further information contact Access St. John’s by calling 311 or 754-CITY (2489) or online at Access 311.