The park is bounded by Rennie's Mill Road, Circular Road, Bannerman Road and Military Road. The park was formed on land set aside for public use by Governor Bannerman in 1864. Bannerman Park remains a well used and attractive park, and a good example of 19th century public park design, reflecting the British parks of that time.
In 2010, the Bannerman Park Foundation was formed to implement the Bannerman Park Master Plan. The City and the Foundation celebrated the completion of this effort at the Grand Re-Opening during St. John's Days, 2015.