Recreation Experiences and Leisure (R.E.A.L. Program)
Recreation Experiences and Leisure (R.E.A.L. Program) / Canadian Tire Jumpstart
R.E.A.L. PurposeThe R.E.A.L. Program and Canadian Tire Jumpstart working together to provide recreation and leisure opportunities to children and youth in financial need.
The R.E.A.L / Canadian Tire Jumpstart Program is a service that matches children and youth up to the age of 18 with organized, registered recreational activities of their choice.
That all children and youth in the City of St. John’s are able to participate in recreation and leisure activities which help boost their self-esteem, promote healthy active living and support personal growth through increased knowledge and skill development.
List of possible Sport and Leisure Activities offered through the R.E.A.L./Candian Tire Jumpstart Program:
|Art||3 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr/Sum|
|Drama||3 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr/Sum|
|Outdoor Soccer||4 - 16||Summer|
|Indoor Soccer||6 - 16||Fall/Win|
|Swimming||Infant - 18||Fall/Win/Spr/Sum|
|Fitness Passes||12 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr/Sum|
|Gymnastics||Infant - 18||Fall/Win/Spr/Sum|
|Taekwondo||4 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr|
|Music||2 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr|
|Basketball||6 - 16||Fall/Win/Spr/Sum|
|Dance||3 - 18||Fall/Win|
|Skating||3 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr|
|Power Skating||3 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr|
|Softball||6 - 16||Summer|
|Baseball/T-Ball||3 - 18||Summer|
|Scouts/Beavers/Cubs||5 - 17||Fall/Win/Spr|
|Bowling||3 - 18||Fall/Win|
|Summer Camps||5 - 16||Summer|
|Easter Camp||6 - 11||Spring|
|Indoor Rock Climbing||4 - 18||Fall/Win/Sum|
|Gals Program||12 - 15||Fall/Win|
|Youth Leadership||15 - 18||Win/Sum|
|Karate||5 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr|
|Tennis||6 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr/Sum|
|Irish Dancing||4 - 18||Fall/Win/Spr|
|Judo||5 - 18||Fall/Win|
|Golf||8 - 18||Summer|
|Fencing||12 - 18||Fall/Win|
Please Note: These are only suggestions of the types of programs offered through the R.E.A.L. If you have other requests not on our list please feel free to list the activities and we will consider your request.
Applications must be submitted in accordance with the deadline dates. Given the high volume of applications each season, the R.E.A.L./Canadian Tire Jumpstart Program cannot guarantee placements until the placement process is complete. Late applications may not be approved.
Summer Programs Application Deadline: April 17
Fall Programs Application Deadline: July 17
Winter Programs Application Deadline: Nov. 17
Applications are considered one season in advance in order to ensure that the request can be processed prior to the program start date. A reference must be provided on each application. An application will not be held over from one season to the next if the child is not initially placed. Incomplete applications will be returned to applicant. First time applicants must provide proof of residency.
R.E.A.L. Program Information
- Applications will only be processed in accordance to the deadline dates.
- Children/youth can access one activity each season.
- This is a service for children/youth who are not currently participating in other paid or funded recreation programs.
- The parent/guardian is responsible for ensuring the child attends the program.
- If transportation or equipment is an issue, contact must be made with the R.E.A.L. Program as soon as possible.
- If the child/youth can no longer participate, the parent/guardian must contact the R.E.A.L. Program.
- This service is offered to City of St. John’s residents only. Proof of residency must be provided to qualify for the R.E.A.L Program. This can be in the form of a drivers licence or a utility bill.
- Non-residents may apply directly to the Canadian Tire Jumpstart Program. For more information call (709) 576-7160
It's R.E.A.L. Easy
1. Choose an activity of interest.
2. Fully complete the application form available online.
Applications also available at the following locations:
- H.G.R. Mews Community Centre
- Crosbie Building
- Wedgewood Park Recreation Centre
- Shea Heights Community Centre
- Kilbride Lions Community Centre
- City Hall
3. Applications can be dropped off at the above locations or mailed to:
R.E.A.L./Canadian Tire Jumpstart Program
City of St. John’s
P.O. Box 908
St. John’s, NL A1C 5M2
Fax: (709) 576-2308
For more information on the R.E.A.L. Program, call (709) 576-8684, (709) 576-4556 or (709) 576-2574 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.