City Presents Twenty-third Annual Tourism Awards
On Thursday, June 19 the Deputy Mayor and Members of Council welcomed tourism leaders from the City to a special ceremony and awards presentation at City Hall. In total, six individuals and businesses were recognized for their outstanding contributions to the tourism sector in general and the St. John’s economy.
“The individuals and groups being recognized today demonstrate the powerful impact that excellence in tourism can have on our City,” said master of ceremonies Councillor Bruce Tilley, co-chair of the Economic Development, Tourism and Public Engagement Standing Committee. “In 2013, the tourism sector had a $370 million impact on our economy, and these award winners represent the best of the best St. John’s has to offer visitors from around the world.”
- The Legend Award for outstanding enhancements to the tourism industry was presented to Anne George, Manager of the Holiday Inn St. John’s.
- Event of the Year was presented to the organizing committee for the 2013 World Ball Hockey Championships.
- The Signal Award, for outstanding contribution to the cruise industry, went to MUN Botanical Garden.
- Ester Taylor received the Victoria Wagon Award, presented annually to a taxi driver who best exemplifies the spirit of exceptional customer service.
- The Discovery Award for innovative tourist service was presented to the St. John’s Trolley Line.
At the ceremony, St. John’s tourism partner Destination St. John’s also presented its annual Award of Distinction to the Canadian Association of Nephrology Nurses and Technologists conference, hosted in October 2013, by its co-Chairs Anne Rowsell and Cheryl Harding.
“This conference not only generated $343 thousand in direct revenues,” said Cathy Duke, CEO of Destination St. John’s, “but moreover offered an authentic St. John’s experience that was unparalleled.”
Manager, Marketing and Communications
City of St. John's