Designed by the great English architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, the Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is regarded as one of the finest examples of ecclesiastical Gothic Revival in North America. The cornerstone was laid in 1843. The nave was used for 30 years until the transepts and chancel were added, completing the cruciform-shaped cathedral, which was destroyed by the St. John's Great Fire of 1892. Rebuilding began the following year and was completed in 1905.

Declared a National Historic Site in 1981, the cathedral, through its restoration work, preserves its excellent stained glass, medieval carvings, and offers a small archival museum containing some early British Cathedral artifacts. The area behind the church encompasses a cemetery -- originally called the Burying Ground -- which was used from the early 1700s until 1849. Although few headstones (such as Sir William Carson's) remain, it contains about 5,000 graves. Founded in 1699, this is the oldest church in the city, and is the oldest Anglican establishment in Canada. Guided tours are available.

The Cathedral provides an afternoon tea during the summer in the recently refurbished crypt. Featuring homemade cakes, cookies, scones and preserves, the tea is served by members of the parish.

16 Church Hill
Telephone #:
(709) 726-5677(office) or 726-1999