Sewer Services

Sewer Services

ToiletDid you know that the City maintains over 459 kilometres of sanitary sewer mains and 40 kilometers of combined sanitary and storm sewers? There are more than 7,800 manholes in St. John's, giving access to these pipes. 

Pipes called laterals connect your home to the City's main pipes. Problems with a lateral line are the property owners' responsibility, while problems in the main line are the responsibility of the municipality.

Sewer Emergency
If you have or see a sewer emergency, such as sewage overflowing manholes, please immediately call Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489). 

What Do I Do If I Have A Back-Up?
If you have a back-up of only one plumbing fixture in your house, the problem is likely an internal plumbing blockage. This is not the City's responsibility. Please call your plumber.

If you are experiencing a back-up of more than one plumbing fixture in your house, this problem could be caused by a number of factors:

  • Blockage of residential sewer pipe
  • Blockage of internal plumbing
  • Back-up of the main sewer into the house

If you experience a sewer back-up on more than one fixture, please immediately contact Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489).

City Sewer Service
If you call the City to investigate a back-up at your property, here are the details you need to know:

  • There is a $200 charge for this service provided no digging is required.   
  • The City will not repair or replace a sewer lateral if it is still functioning.  
  • If there is a blockage in the sewer service lateral of a residence that requires the City to dig to repair your service, a fee of $800 for a repair of 8m or less and $1000 for a repair greater than 8m, to be paid in advance, will be charged. Payment can be made at the Access St. John's office on the first floor of City Hall. In addition, Access St. John's will accept payment by Visa or Mastercard over the telephone. To avail of this service, please call Access St. John's at 311 or (709) 754-CITY (2489).
  • The City is not responsible for repairing or replacing private property or structures that must be disturbed in order to perform the necessary sewer work. Property owners will be required to sign a waiver releasing the City from responsibility for property damage before work is started.

For additional help or to submit a request visit Access St. John's.